Would you like more information on Sauvo’s attractions?
Sauvo Church is a medieval gray-stone church. The church was primarily built in its present appearance between 1460-1472. The medieval Catholic parish dedicated the church to St. Clement of Rome. The limestone paintings of the vault date back to the 1470s. The paintings consist of floral ornamentation, as well as the images of apostles and prophets.
Karuna Church is located in Karuna, Sauvo. The church, representing romantic nationalism, was built out of grey granite from Karuna during 1908-1910, and designed by Josef Stenbäck. There is a star vault and belt arch in the centre of the church that are decorated with festoons, otherwise the interior of the church is plastered in white. The church has been described as one of Finland's most successful and beautiful churches of the romantic nationalist style. Ilmari Launis has designed the church's altarpiece paintings "Ristiinnaulittu, jonka juurelta vuotaa elämän veden virta” (Crucified, from which the water of light flows from the roots) and to the sides ”Kalkkia ja leipää kantavat enkelit” (Angels bearing limestone and bread”.
The history of the old red Vahtinen farmhouse, the location of Sauvo museum, dates back to the 18th century. It was used as a school hall before a decision was made to convert the building into a museum. The museum holds both permanent and changing exhibitions. The watchmaker’s room displays objects donated by a local watchmaker to the museum. In the grounds, there are old traditional buildings, typical of Sauvo. The grounds also hold the Vahtinen farm's original granary, as well as a traditional two floor outbuilding, smoke sauna and Esan Miina's cottage that were received as donations.
Sauvo Library operates in the renovated old Sauvo dairy. The library also houses the municipal youth premises. By utilizing the old building stock of Sauvo for renovation, the local history values have been preserved through re-use, and a multifaceted unit representing different time constraints has been created for the parish centre.
Maalu lookout tower
Maalu lookout tower is part of the Karunan Unelma (Karuna Dream) project implemented with EU funds. The lookout tower was erected in the location of an old air raid watchtower on Maalunmäki's highest cliff. Lottas from Sauvo were placed on duty in the watchtower during the Winter and Continuation Wars. The tower boasted good visibility far out to sea towards Parainen and Nauvo, and in good weather, it was also possible to admire Turku Cathedral. Now, in the same historical location, there is a lookout tower from where a panoramic view of the beautiful local countryside can be enjoyed.
Karuna reed roof shelter
Karuna's fine reed roof shelter serves local people and as a rest spot for visiting cyclists and skiers, as well as a popular location for barbecues. The speciality of the shelter, the reed roof, was installed by volunteers of the Karuna village association, led by an Estonian master. The shelter is located at Nuorisotalontie 3, Karuna.
Pirunpelto and Paratiisimäki
Pirunpellonpolku path departs from the surroundings of Maalunmäki lookout tower. There is a marking to the path and a devil’s field by its side. The trail continues to Paratiisimäki hill, which offers stunning views towards Maalunlahti bay.